The beginning



Most bloggers write how they've always had an affinity for writing. How there's always been a special ease with which they've put pen to paper. My story's a bit different; up until the age of eight I could barley read Spot, let alone read anything I wrote. It's a miracle I managed to write at all seeing as, ultimately, I had no idea what it was I was writing. 1 year of remedial reading classes (I KNOW right) and flash forward 12 years later and not a day goes by where I don't pick up a novel of some kind, ranging from Murakami to Tolstoy on the literary spectrum. And, If you asked, I'd say there was a special ease with which I put pen to paper.. 
I was never the child with her nose buried in a book, I was a tree-climbing, basketball -playing tomboy, hands buried in mud (which is a stark contrast to present me, believe me). I was the child who HAD to try everything- from trumpet to debating to gymnastics- and found no passion in any of these. Everything seemed to interest me, but nothing held my attention.
Writing was the one exception. Maybe the shame of having to attend remedial classes (I was eight people) was the extra motivation I required to reach above and beyond what felt natural to me. It was with this I learnt (if you continue to read my future posts, If you this imaginary reader I'm directing this to even exists, you'll find I make a lot of affirmations about life) that a sunflower will not reach its full potential without the proper nurturing and neither will I. Hard work beats talents when talent fails to work hard (thank you, Mr Durant). Perhaps this ability to write always lay there, buried deep beneath long, convoluted sentences and shocking attempts at poetry. Perhaps,the potential was there from birth. Perhaps it was something I needed to act upon for it to be realised. I've always believed in 'stepping into your greatness'- relinquishing this idea of a pre-determined destiny and creating your own.
Either way writing, it makes me feel alive, makes me feel glad to be alive. One of the closest quotes to me right now is - "At all costs remain faithful to the process of rediscovering your own divinity" (Blaise Seavullo). And may I honour the divinity that resides within me. This may be a dream a tad outside my teach, but that is the goal of this blog. To pass on this feeling, to create something worthwhile and to reach my potential. However, like many other university students with never-ending deadlines, I'm generally one to succumb to the temptation of procrastination. I've put this off for the longest of times, for the weakest of reasons. But here I am, and what better time to start than right now.
Oh and the meaning behind my name, tiny-contradictions? What part of you hasn't felt like a bundle of contradictions at times? What part of life hasn't felt like a series of tiny contradictions? 

Think about it.
-N

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment